Sign in with Facebook
Sign in with Facebook

User Rating: 5 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar Active

It is very normal for most homeowners to buy a property along with their spouses. However, in case your spouse is no more, the property would dissolve equally into the names of all her survivors including yourself and your children. In such casesm even though you might be giving the property to your children, it becomes necessary to get a legal heirship certificate.

For e.g. consider that you have only one son and you and your spouse jointly own a property. In event of your wife's death, you become owner of 75% of property while your son gets ownership of 25%. This is assuming that your wife did not leave a will, registered or unregistered.

You would need to make a settlement deed in order to transfer the property to your heir.

You can read more on the how to claim a property after the death of an owner in the following link.

Claiming property after death of previous owner

How to get legal heir certificate?

In order to get legal heir certificate, the heir would need to apply for death certificate. Then he/she would have to apply for family survival certificate followed by a legal heir certificate. Then the heir would need to go to the Tahsildar's office to get the document mutated in his/her name. The documents required for this process are listed below:

  • Death certificate of your parent/s
  • Ration card/birth certificate to prove your relationshp with previous owner.
  • Take NOC from your parents if they are alive
  • Property tax payment receipts
  • Application form for mutation and receipt of fee paid for it


Add comment

Security code

Want quick reply to your question? Post it to the Forum and get quick and prioritized reply! For questions on posting to forum, please read article on how to post a question in the forum.

Latest News

Residential demand unlikely to improve in 12-18 mo...
22 Oct 2017 09:27 - Krishna

Even though the number of affordavle housing projects are joing up in the recent times, the demand f [ ... ]

Affordable Housing may be next big thing
30 Jul 2017 07:52 - Krishna

Thanks to the govenrment's effort to lead to affordable housing, housing loans and sales in this cat [ ... ]

RERA deadline up on July 31st
30 Jul 2017 07:38 - Krishna

Builders are worried about the deadline to sign up for Real Estate Regulatory Authority (RERA). Any  [ ... ]

Documents uploaded on real estate sites cannot be ...
30 Jul 2017 07:04 - Krishna

Developers will now have to be careful when uploading documents with the Real Estate Regulatory Auth [ ... ]

Demonetization has not affected prices of properti...
23 Jul 2017 10:47 - Krishna

Recent studies show that in the first quarter of 2017, prices of under construction properties in De [ ... ]

Featured News

You can take five years to make use of interest ra...
04 Mar 2016 10:22 - Krishna

A home owner will be able to take tax exemption on home loan even if the house construction gets com [ ... ]

Subscribe to News

Sign in with Facebook