The land acquisition bill was finally passed by Rajya Sabha. However there were four new amendments proposed by BJP and opposition parties. The bill will now go back to Lok Sabha with these amendments.
The highlights of the four amendments that were proposed in Rajya Sabha are:
1) Irrigation projects to have retrospective clause
2) The urgency clause of the bill is to be used only in case of natural disaster or calamities. It must not be used by private firms.
3) Compensation for item 2 above will be higher than usual compensation.
4) The law will be applicable to all special economic zones to be set up in the future. The Government said on a side note that the States were free to even change the consensus requirement from 70/80 % to even 100%. This example may not be included as an amendment as it seems to have been an ill-stated example.
5) Only the compensation would be determined as part of this bill. The earlier proposals on rehabilitation and resettlement are dropped.
6) The earlier bill allowed a provision which invoked this law for anyone who had not accepted a compensation award. The new amendment restated it to include anyone who had not received the money in their account.
7) The new bill requires the consent of gram panchayats mandatory for rural areas.
Please read the earlier article about the Land acquisition bill.